3.06.2012

how to make coctel de camarones in five easy steps


I adapted this recipe from one I found in a New York Times Magazine a few years ago. My recipe is for straight up Mexican shrimp cocktail, and from the list below you can eliminate four items: green olives, parsley, crabmeat and jalapeños (they overpower the delicious smoked Anaheim chiles so I don't use them). Also, we eat it with Saltines, which is traditional in this country, and I think in Mexico as well. I doubled the recipe (and tripled the shrimp) today so we can have it several times this week.

I am devouring a bowl of it as I type. David will be home for dinner in a little while. I guess I'll have to have "second dinner" tonight!

Ingredients:

My five easy steps:

One, the shrimp.
Cook shrimp with a lot of salt and a big squeeze of lemon.

When cooled, peel, devein and set the shrimp aside.






Two, the chilies.
These are pictured below. Place Anaheim chiles on a piece of foil and broil, turning as needed, until charred. Remove from broiler and cover with a bowl to let the skins steam loose. After a few minutes they will be cool enough to peel, seed and dice.

Set the chiles aside.


Three, the (awesome) sauce.
Purée olive oil, ketchup, chili sauce, oregano, serrano pepper, lime and Clamato juice (I used clam juice mixed with tomato juice, same thing). Measurements listed in article above.

Set the sauce aside.











Four, pico de gallo.
Combine seeded, diced tomatoes, diced onion, minced garlic, chopped cilantro and salt to create pico de gallo. Measurements listed in article above.

Blend the pico de gallo with the sauce (above) and set aside.







Five, dice avocado, combine, serve and eat!
In a large bowl, gently combine the sauce/pico de gallo mixture with the shrimp, chopped chiles and diced avocado. Garnish with fresh bay leaves and serve with Saltines and smoky mezcal to drink (David's favorite after-work fuertecito). So good!












4 comments:

  1. Oh man, that looks so good! I may have to make that this weekend! And gorgeous pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, TL. IT IS SO GOOD! My husband ate a ton of it last night, and I had two bowlfuls for breakfast this morning because I COULD. NOT. RESIST!

      Delete
  2. Oh my freaking amazingness - THERE is the stuff I see sometimes but I didn't know the name! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RDK, I know from your blog you're a foodie and a cook, you should make it, you won't be disappointed! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...